Sunday, August 30, 2009

Weekend Catch-Up

It has been another wet and miserable weekend. I have spent much of it in the car running the girls around or picking them up. The price we pay for living in a rural area and sending them to a school in the city........... I am about to go out again to collect Kate from her friends and then hopefully I can spend the rest of the afternoon in my studio.

Here is a little peek of my BOM that I am working on at the moment. I use Madeira threads quite a lot and find them really easy to work with. I have just used one of their variegated Rayon Threads for another project and that was fantastic to work with also and the end result was lovely. Once I have finished the project I will show you the end result.


In between trips yesterday I managed to stop off at one of my favourite bakeries and buy hubby and I a french vanilla which we enjoyed with a coffee for afternoon tea. Yummy ........


We are a single income family now that hubby is no longer working and as an excercise in budgeting I have been keeping a book of every $ we have spent for the week. I intend to do this for a few weeks to get a pattern of spending nutted out. After the first week I have been very very suprised at the results. We obviously spend way too much money in some areas and after the initial 4 weeks I should have a full picture of our spending habits and areas which need attention. Does anyone else out there keep a record of what they spend? I would be very interesting in hearing from you.

The flowers above were a gift from my Sammy - She knows how much I love flowers and often brings me a bunch. She also bought her dad a bag of licorice and sweets with a dear little card - for no reason but just to brighten his day - We are truly blessed to have such caring children.

Oh and did I tell you that that I have been re-named ------- Thomas now calls me Manny - He pronounces it Mannnnnnnny ...... Isn't that just so cute? Well off to hop in the taxi again and resume my duties. Big Hugs to you wherever you are .........

11 comments:

Sara said...

You have been busy! I love the sewing machine cover and those fat quarters you are taking to the show!
I don't actually keep a record of our spending, but I will say that I only take cash to the grocery store. I go once every two weeks and we tend to spend less when I take cash (by not getting things we don't need!)
Love the flowers!

Vicki's Bit-o-earth said...

Hi Fiona, I'm a Mom to 3 boys... already grown. We raised our family 25 miles from the nearest town... or anything else, for that matter. I remember the endless days of running them to social activities in town... and on icy roads in winter. I don't regret a moment of all that running now... (though I must admit I was often tired). Enjoy every moment. Your children will remember these days with fondness. (:

I just read your profile, and find that other than miles in distance and age, we have alot in common. (: I am also an avid gardener. We used to keep hens. They kept the boys busy with egg collecting, feeding and cleaning the hen house. It was good for them. Now that they are grown up, they know how to work. I hope to have hens again someday. And as for collecting vintage treasures... I have too many and should stop collecting, but can't help myself! LOL

I keep a weekly tally of what we spend. When I first started, I realized we spent way too freely in some areas, so I adjusted. Its a constant balancing act.

Have a great week~
Vicki

Lurline said...

Flowers certainly brighten our day! Good luck with your financial exercise - we should all do it!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Lizzie said...

Oh I do remember the days when I had a Taxi Licence, I laugh now when I hear my girls complaining about the hours spent driving my darling grandchildren around, lol.
I don't do a budget but sometimes wish I knew where it all went (we won't talk about the fabric and books will we?), maybe I should give it a try? I might give myself a coronary do you think?

Ha ha, the verification word is OUCH ~ telling me something do you think???

The Faerie Queen said...

Hi Fiona,
My hubby used to be the "taxi" now the grown up children have to sort thir own rides out as we had to sell our car last year. Like you we are now a single income family. We have a set amount of cash for food, bill paying, mortgage etc each week If there is money left, we are lucky - if not - well thats life. hugz xxx

Pauline said...

Hey Fiona,
Oh how clearly Iremember......oh wait..I am still a taxi..rofl..
sure has been wet wet wet....
I am so enjoying talking to my swap partner...is very cool
fats look great!!
cheers mate

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Fiona,
I love your sewing machine cover in you last post.
I wish I had done a financial sheet from way back when. Retirement is creeping up awfully fast.
Best of luck with the show.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Your quilt looks gorgeous...wish I could peek round the corner and see more, though. ;-)
I go through stages of writing every cent down...it keeps me on track with our budget if I think we're slipping.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Hi Fiona...what a great idea to keep a record of your budget...we are a single income family also and we should keep one too!!! Gorgeous spring daffodils too...Dzintra♥x

Peggy said...

Hi Fiona, yours are the first bunch of daffodils I have seen since last Spring here. Your budget is a good idea, we will all have to rein in some of our spending.

Nicky said...

Way too scary to think about what we spend - especially on craft stuff. And food and toys - but so good of you to analyse it. I imagine it must be hard to have a big change in income (I can remember what it was like when the babies came)