Friday, April 2, 2010

A Re-Purposed Life

I have always loved trash and treasure markets, garage sales and of course thrift shops. It gives me a wonderful feeling to give something another life - It helps land fill and of course saves you money.

Here are the items that I picked up this week for the sum of $11.00. 2 Glass Dishes, 1 Glass Plate, a Glass Christmas Tree Shaped Candy Jar & a Table Top Ironing Board. I have wanted a table top ironing board for ages and resisted buying a new one - This one cost me $2.00 because it had a big burn mark on the top which you can just see at the top of the photograph.

I have turned one of the litle dishes into a candy dish.


The glass plate holds my collection of plastic easter eggs.


The candy jar holds my cotton reels.


And the remaining dish holds my curved quilting pins


The ironing board has been re-covered with new padding and a delightful paisley fabric.



So everything has been given a new life and a new purpose.

I forgot to take before photo's of what I will be up to today but I am re-purposing a wooden book shelf for my studio and also 2 little shelves that I purchase recently for $7.00. My new studio is the smallest room in our house and of course I have too much to fit into it. For more of this week's Flea Market finds in Blogland visit HERE.

Look at what the mail man delivered this week. My Ugly has returned home all prettied up by the delightful Peg. She has made me a lovely sack bag and a needle book and sent me some DMC Threads, a Fat Quarter and some sweets. It has been so much fun - Peg's hasn't arrived yet so I can't show you what I made her.

I hope that you all have a happy and safe Easter and have a chance to get some sewing done. I have a friend coming over to play tomorrow so I am sure to have something to show you in the next day or two.
Thankyou for all of the lovely comments about Emma - There was a slight problem with the downloading of the pattern pieces it seems that the legs had disappeared but are in the files now so if you have already downloaded her just print the final page from HERE.

HUGS,


15 comments:

Vintage Girl said...

I love finding new to me treasures too, you did really well. I love how you've used each piece. Have a Happy Easter. Blessings, Heather

Allie said...

Good thrifting indeed, Fiona! I used to have a little tabletop ironing board too, loved it but don't have room for it anymore. The shelves are a great idea for when you don't have a lot of space - you can always go vertical. Someday I'd like my sewing room fitted out with cupboards, lots and lots, like a kitchen. Or I can just stop cooking when the boys leave home, and move my sewing room to the kitchen.

Love your treasures from Peg - she does such beautiful work!

Lurline said...

Oh, Fiona - I have de-cluttered, but have some really beautiful glass dishes, jugs and baskets! Seeing the charm you have created makes me want to join in and show, too! Thanks!
Lurline♥

Jo in TAS said...

Love your Pretty Ugly! Mine arrived yesterday and it's very special. Can't do a post as DH took my camera!
Can't wait to come and play!!
I've stitched up a storm today while watching girly dvd's!

Grethe said...

Amazing what is to be found around,Very nice,I specially love the little glass tree with the spools and of course the goodies
:o) Happy Easter :o)

Cath Ü said...

Love your ugly fat quarter item.. just saw it on Peg's blog and commented....

I also love all your new finds....

Cath's Blog

cath Ü

Margaret said...

Thrift shops are an exciting experience , you never know wnat you are going to pick up, your dishes are a real find.

Bluebell said...

Hello, I love your finds, I love looking for things in charity shops, we do not have garage sales or yard sales in England. I love the thrift shops in America we were in Cape Cod a couple of years ago and I think I visited every one. We were on a short break last week and went antiquing I found lots of bits for pennies and next week we are going to the Lincolshire Antiques and Home show there are over 3000 stall I can't wait.
Love Jillxx

Joy said...

Ooooh I just love your thrift shop treasures, you find the bestest stuff!!! What a terrific find the tabletop ironing board was for just $2, looks so fab now with it's new cover :o)!!!
Your "ugly" project is just terrific, well done Peg ;o)!!!
Love n Hugs,
Joy :o)

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I love you little dishes....I have a passion for green glass....the ugly fat quarter swap was so much fun, can't wait to see what treasure you have made...

Jude said...

lucky girl, you have some great finds there and the ironing board has come up a treat.The Emma doll is cute and as I have a GD with the same name I guess I had better make one for her.

Maria said...

Wow Fee you sure have put all your lovely treasures to good use.



Yes loved the ugly swap but I am waiting for my lady to recieve hers so I can do a post on them. Peg did a beautiful job on your ugly!!

Debbie said...

Great finds! I love how your ugly project turned out. Beautiful!

Have a great Easter weekend!

Debbie
ouroldhomestead.blogspot.com

Elyte said...

Thanks for organising the Ugly Swap. I love my surprise from Jo and I gave her a huge challenge. She made my job much easier. Hope you and your friend have a lovely day.

clare's craftroom said...

I have exactly the same small glass bowls , we have them on our table each night with onion or sauce or whatever just so I can pretend we're classy , lol !