Monday, May 24, 2010

So What Is Inside Your UFO Sewing Basket?

I used to be much more organised with projects and have them in little folders but now I have this basket which I call my stitchery basket. It is the basket which sits beside me most nights and contains lots of projects all ready to be stitched.

I find it impossible to sit and watch television without something in my hands so this basket is a necessity for me. I also like variety so it contains lots of different things and I just pick something up each night that I feel like doing.

You may not think there is very much here to choose from ..... well let me just show you what is in my basket.......


This lot includes little christmas stitcheries to make little hanging pillows (I make lots of these throughout the year ready for Chrismtas); My Gail Pan table runner from the last gathering which I am hand quilting and is almost ready for it's binding; Jenny of Elefantz's milk jug cover and some of my own designs on linen.

Plus I have had Anni Down's Simple Pleasures traced out for ages.


And I am also working on this one of Rosalie Quinlans' - Little Patchwork Village on linen in redwork (I am going to put it together with some French General - YUM)




Then there is this pile of my own designs..........




And some on-line designs - Cori's Baby Bracelet quilt (I am making both girl and boy); the Polka Dot Pineapples Flower Hair Bobby pins (for my nieces birthday); Jenny of Elefantz's Christmas Story BOM & Some little Bunnies from Homespun magazine a few issues back.


So as you can see variety is the spice of life for me - I like having lots of things on the go - That way I never get bored of the one project.


Remember these bags that I was sewing yesterday? I wanted to design something using the pre-quilted muslin I had and these were the result.



I decided to make a day of it and made 3 - Just to be sure that i had the pattern right.


Last night I made them each a little fabric flower to adorn them. And yes Joy they are made with my decreasing stash of "Aviary" - I just love that fabric.


I have decided to join in with Lou Lou's At My House today. If you want to see more pop over to Buttons By Lou Lou. I thought I would show you my favourite corner of my sewing room.




It holds lots of my pretties.


Trims ..................





Buttons & Cottons ..................

I have a couple of days off from work so have had a busy day pottering - I am 1/2 way through cleaning the oven so I had best get back to it.




20 comments:

By Hoki Quilts said...

Fee, you are so organised. I have a pile on the chest next to my chair, plus the inside is full of those things I need to do then there is 'stuff' in various piles in my sewing room and none of it looks as tidy as yours.
hugs
Miche'le

Maree: said...

Variety is the Spice of Life..lol.You sure have plenty on the go Fi..all looking Gorgeous and I love your white hutch in your sewing room it is Beautiful full of lovely Trims etc...TFS.
cheers

Buttons by Lou Lou said...

Thanks for joining in today Fiona. I am so jealous of all those ribbons and trims - they look so beautiful there together. Lots of pretties at your house. Lou.

Jeni said...

My Goodness
as we speak I am in my sewing room ...what a mess.............
I will try and organise myself like you
glad I stop by and seen your sewing room

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Mmmmm, lots of lovely projects on the go, Fee!! Glad you found such pretty homes for your Aviary! LOL!!

Cardygirl said...

That is one organised basket...I might be too ashamed to show you what is lurking at the bottom of mine!

Sweet Cinnamon Stitches said...

Gosh Fiona, you sure fit a lot into that little basket....Happy stitching.
Jane.

Diane said...

Everything looks so wonderful. I too cannot sit without something in my hands to do.
Blessings
Diane

Shiree said...

I am with you on the idle hands Fee, and my basket probably looks a lot like yours!!! Isn't it terribly satisfying when you suddenly finish several projects! I am really liking the sound of Rosalie's blocks with French General, what a great match!

KaHolly said...

Now that I see how nice and neatly organized your sewing space is, I can see how you can be so productive! And I thought having a basket of UFO's by my chair in the livingroom to keep idle hands busy WAS being organized! The unorganized part for me is all that spills over onto the coffee table and the back of the couch! I love the bag you made from the prequilted fabric. ~karen

sandra said...

I love your basket of 'unfinished' goodies, mine seem to be spread around, in bags and boxes all over, so perhaps I need a basket like that.
Love the bags you made.

Allie said...

I do that too Fiona, I have a retro lunch box that I keep my stitchery projects in and pick from at random...eventually they get done! I can't just sit and watch tv either. I LOVE your bags with the flowers! Those are just too pretty. Love the corner of your sewing room too, it's so pretty and functional too!

Pauline said...

Hi Fiona,

hey just makes me feel good that I am not alone!!! (not that I thought I was for one minute) ha ha..
we have a retreat coming up in sept..so mine are already packed..I want to finish at least 3 ufos on those 3 days..bit of a challenge..but hey..lol have to say though..I still think you win!!!!

minni said...

congratulations for your works, I like your blog and i love your quilt.
ciao ciao from a sunny Italy
Rosy

Linda said...

Oh! Your "pretties" include a little dish made by Federal Glass in the pattern called "Petal." I have a whole collection of them and think they're just darling. I was first attracted to them because I think the little designs around the edge look like crosses. Being a Christian, that appealed to me. I love using my small plates and bowls to serve guests. Thanks for a peep into your sewing space.

Farm Girl said...

What a gorgeous space you have, I love that you also have heaps of projects on the go at once, makes me feel a whole lot more 'normal!' I really enjoy your beautiful blog.

Sandra Henderson said...

Why is it that everyone else's UFO basked looks so much more inspiring than my own!??! :)
I, too, have to have handwork while watching TV...
Lovely sewing area you have. XO

M12aeganT_Moe12 said...

憂能傷身,保重哦!.............................................

Jude said...

Your bags look great and will make lovely gifts. Your sewing corner is so neat it puts mine to shame.

Barb said...

I love what is in your sewing basket....and in your room....