Thursday, November 11, 2010

That Fruit Cake Recipe + Re-Purposed Thursday


I promised you my Boiled Fruit Cake recipe last week but time has just got away from me and I couldn't find the time to bake one so that I could show you.  Finally last night I made time so here it is.  Besides Date Loaf this is hubby's favourite cake.


It is pretty quick and easy to make.  Put all of the following into a large pot.

125g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 x 440g Can of Crushed Pineapple
1 Teaspoon Mixed Spice
1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
375g Mixed Fruit -( I only use Raisins and Sultana's as hubby dislikes citrus peel so you can do either)

Bring to the Boil and then let simmer for10 minutes. Take away from the heat and let cool for around 5 minutes.  Beat 2 eggs slightly and add to the mixture stirring with a wooden spoon.  Add 2 cups of Sifted plain Flour and mix in well.  Pre heat the oven to 150 degrees celcius.  Grease and line a 20cm square cake pan.




Pour the cake batter into the cake pan and cover with a piece of brown paper. Cook on the bottom shelf of the oven for 45 - 50 minutes.




We always have the first slice hot with cream when I bake this cake and then serve the rest cold as slices.













I hope you enjoy this cake - It is a breeze to make.



My day job is in the Hospitality and Events industry.  October through to March is crazy so I have decided just to post recycled items when I can instead of locking myself into just Thursdays.  Hopefully when things quiten down a little I can get back to putting up Mr Linky for you.  But please still join in when you can.  Re-Purposing is really important to me and I would love to see your ideas.  This week I thought that I would chat about doillies.  Lots of clever ladies in blogland have shown items that they have made with doillies.  I love seeing them.  It is always my favourite corner when I visit an opportunity shop - I rarely leave without buying at least one.  I use them everywhere in my home.  This one sits under the new little ceramic bird I bought recently on my trip to quilt camp with Jo.



 And another really pretty use under a glass vase



I like to use them in my projects too and am currently working on a few ideas with doillies but here are a couple of cushions that i have made recently from re-cycled doillies.


They are so versatile - You can create any look - The pretty soft pastel look

Or Even the French Look - You can be as creative as you like.  I have also framed these doillies and made them into samplers - I will show you my new repurposed doilly design soon.

I have Sam's baby shower this weekend so need to get the sewing machine steaming along in the next few days - Do you have much planned this weekend?  I hope you enjoy whatever it is you choose to do.



9 comments:

Jo in TAS said...

I've never made a fruit cake but yours looks pretty easy! Great doily repurposing and I wish I'd bought one of those little birdies now!

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

I am the same as Jo, I have never made a boiled fruit cake, this one sounds yummy...and I love doilies I have a few that my Nan made, which are very special... thanks for the recipe Fee...

Vicki ♥ said...

I have copied the recipe and will make it soon ...thanks Fee :) It does look so yumm and I like the idea of the first warm slices with cream :) hugs Vicki xxx

Christine said...

I printed out the recipe...I will try it soon...thanks for the inspiration!

Cherie said...

Ooooo that cake with gluten free flour would be delish. Totally lovely post Fee. Hope you're staying rested. xo.

Maria said...

Thank you for sharing your fruit cake recipe Fee.
Love all your doilies.

Allie said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe - I love what you did with the doilies! I have tons of my grandma's [plus thrifted] that I need to do something with.

najma said...

the fruit cake looks really tasty. thanks for sharing the recipe, one of these days I'll try it
hope you having a nice weekend
best wishes

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Thanks Fee for this recipe...I'll try it with gluten free flour...I think it will be great!!! Dzintra♥x