Monday, August 15, 2011

A Tutorial, Candles, Making Croutons + A Decison


I love candles.  I love the warm glow they give and I love the smell the scented ones leave.  Last night while preparing dinner I turned off all of the lights except for the kitchen light (so I could cook - LOL) and lit some candles.  In the coming weeks I will be making some candles, just as soon as my supplies arrive.  I will take lots of photographs so that you can make them along with me.


I have blogged once before about the ease of making croutons at home.  Last night I had some stale foccacia's and decided to replenish my crouton stockpile.  I just cut them all up into small cubes placed on baking paper on an oven tray and sprayed them with olive oil.



And baked in a moderate oven until they have dried out and are crisp and golden.


Once they have cooled place them in an air tight container for future use in soups and salads etc.  They are delicious and is a much better way to use stale bread rather than throw it out.



You would all know by now that I am kitty crazy.  I adore my feline babies and have much fun playing with them.  It always amuses me the things that they will play with. 

I have for quite awhile made little toys which I often donate to cat organisations.  I thought that you might like to make some too?  The first ones I call Kitty Twirls.  You need pipe cleaners and little jingle bells (not to small).


Thread a jingle bell onto a pipe cleaner and centre it.  Bend over the ends so that they are not sharp.



Next wrap the bell and pipe cleaner around a pencil to give it a spiral shape.



Remove the pencil and Voila !!  A Kitty Twirl Toy.


They are such fun to make and the cats will adore them.  My fridge has a lovely collection under it.



I also recycle the plastic rings on the top of plastic jars and milk bottles.  They are easily removed in 1 piece.


First wrap a pipe cleaner around the ring leaving a gap for another colour.  Make a loop at the top if you wish to hang it later.


A cute little kitty wreath from a milk ring.


The larger rings will take 3 to 4 pipe cleaners.


But are heaps of fun to play with - Want to see how much fun?



Dreamer gives it a tap to see if it moves........


Jack gets in on the action......




Oops I think they fell off.....


Which way did they go ?


Down there Jack.......


Okay I'll go get it shall I?  They play with them for ages.  Give them a go they are cheap to make and will provide hours of fun for your kitty cat.



I have been thinking for awhile that I might like to buy a little hot house.  Do you have one?  Any tips on what I should be looking for?  We live in quite a cold area in winter so I would be able to grow a few different things all year round.  What do you think?  All help gratefully received.

Hugs - Fee XX

7 comments:

retdairyqueen said...

Lovely post Enjoyed the antics of your cats

May Britt said...

My little Rusken loves to play with hair rubber bands, so I think I will try to make him some of these LOL

Jo in TAS said...

So did Ned get introduced to the others yet??

Kerryanne English said...

I've often thought about a hot house too Fee, but have never known anyone who has one. Imagine all the pretty blooms and seedlings you could propagate in there. Hope you get one and then I'll know someone with a hot house - lol.
Hugs ~ Kerryanne

Roseanne said...

What a great way to recycle and make toys. I lost my lovely cat last night. I have blog about her.

Jeni said...

cats just love playing...you are a good mum
and love your green house

Melinda said...

I love this post. I usually make dry breadcrumbs with my leftover bread, but I love the crouton idea. I'll bookmark it. And I'll definitely try the cat toys.