Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Heating Up.....



My home state of Tasmania is renowned for it's cooler climate and it's semi mild summers and freezing cold winters.  The last few years have seen extreme's of both ends of the scale and this past weekend sure was extreme for us.  I live in the Midlands of the state so our tempratures vary from the capital city - We do not have the benefit of a sea breeze.



Saturday the temprature where I live reached 40 degrees (104 degrees farenheit) and yesterday was a slightly milder 38 degrees (100.4 degrees farenheit) This morning at 6am the temprature was still 26 degrees (78.8 F).


Not only are we not conditioned for this type of weather but our homes are not equipped either.  Luckily one end of our house which does not get heated in winter by the wood fire has a reverse cycle air conditioner so at least part of the house can be cool.


But it is very hard to get anything done when you are in sweltering heat and just not used to it - It is so draining - How do you girls in warmer areas cope during summer?  I felt like hibernating and waking up when the temprature was cooler but you can't even do that - LOL


I did manage to get a bit more work done on my project for "Let's Get Stitched".  It is coming around very quickly and it is now less than 2 weeks before everyone starts to arrive.  It is very exciting !  I have ordered cooler weather for you girls - Mid 20's would be lovely.

Today is the start of week 2 of my break and I am heading outside for the day today.

Have a lovely week.

Hugs - Fee X

19 comments:

CurlyPops said...

I was shocked when I saw the forecast for Tassie over the weekend.
If this weather keeps up I'm considering moving to the north pole!

Kelli said...

Hope you are staying cool! Looking forward to seeing your Let's Get Stitched project. :o)
xo

Deb said...

Wow your weather has been really hot Fee. Yes you will have to order everything to be much cooler for your Stitching weekend. Nothing worse than feeling all clamy and hot.

shez said...

we have had a extremely hot weekend also,lovely pics Fee.xx

By Hoki Quilts said...

Oh boy - more than the odd hot flush eh? Not fun really in that heat and far too hot to do anything really.
I hope it cools down rapidly before the stitching weekend gets underway. xx

Cath said...

Oh no, I didn't need to hear that the weather is so hot in Tas. I have been conditioning my husband to consider retiring there as I am over the heat ever summer up here in QLD. I am sure it will cool down soon.

Debra ~ Outback Crafter said...

Oh Fee,
I feel for you guys with those temps. I have lived in Central and Western Qld for 15 years now & I don't think you ever really get used to it. Generally feeling sluggish is a symptom of overly hot weather.

My best suggestion is lots of cold beverages, the coolest spot you can find in (or out of) the house and the coolest sewing you own.

Enjoy stitched in Tassie. I can't wait to see what you all get up to.

Stitchin' time said...

Wow, we are in the Mid North coast of NSW and that's normally our summer temps! There's only been a few 'hot' days about 30-32 degrees this summer but as we live on a windy hill we just open the windows and let nature air condition the house :). Acclimatisation is a big thing too as we are used to the hot summers.
Cheers,
Robyn

Quilt Kitty said...

That is so extreme for Tassie. In Perth we had a weekend of around 26 degrees, almost winter weather, the nights quite nippy. Personally I would rather have 26 than 40 any day. The only way we survive is airconditioners everywhere, house, car, work - not nice. Your pics are lovely Fi. Wish I was coming to Lets Get Stitched too. Tracee xx

De said...

Wow - very hot Fee, but I dont mind the heat! Bet my Mum and friends were suffering though! Hopefully high 20s for when Im there!

Michelle Ridgway said...

I agree with Debra. I am born and bred in Queensland and I struggle a little more each year with the heat and especially the humidity. We all go spare up here when we have a cold snap....guess it is the same thing. Lots of cool drinks and I love putting ice cubes on my inside wrists...ohhh! Nice! Hope you cool down soon.

Sunnybec said...

Wow your weather sounds like the part of France I live in. I live near Limoges and for the last couple of years our weather has been extreme too. Last summer we were in the 40C and this winter we have had around -15C (though it has been much colder in other parts of Europe). What is happening to our weather?? Linda

marina said...

I always say I want to move to Tassie so I can live in a cooler climate, maybe not with your report. When it is too hot I just hibernate and thank god for a fantastic air conditioner! Your pictures are lovely.

Maria said...

The weather in Tassie has certainly gone crazy Fiona...40 degrees! DH and I went to NZ one January to escape Qld's heat...both islands had a heat wave and all the motels only had heaters, no fans or aircon.

Annie said...

I have to admit Fee, I love Tassie climate - 4 proper seasons and a just a sprinkle of super hot days to remind me how much I love Autumn then Winter and the promise of Spring...although I do love the beautiful blue skies and beachy afternoon breeze, Summer is now my least preferred season. Hope we have those mid 20's for your Tassie weekend with the Girls xoxo

Sarah said...

Ohhh the Lynette Anderson stitchery roll there!

One day I will do it as well...

Jo in TAS said...

I'm so glad the temps are back to normal today, the heatwave was unbearable!

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Your quilts/crafts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world!
www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
Hugs, Ulla (from Finland)

Kallie said...

Oh my goodness! What a difference from here in Canada. I always tend to forget that you guys have summer weather there right now as we are in the middle of winter. Admittedly it has been a gorgeous winter. Only twice have we hit a bout of -30C lol. Lately its been about -5C which is lovely! How about I send some coolness and you send some warmth?