Thursday, December 10, 2015

Upcycling



One of my passions is re-using and upcycling items that have been discarded by other people.  The world cannot continue to just produce more and more merchandise - It's just not sustainable.

In my own little quest to do my bit and make something old new again I upcycle lots of things including textiles.

This linen fabric was a pair of trousers at my local thrift shop - Brand New With Tags and marked down to $1 - They were an old fashioned style so obviously of no use to anyone.


So I cut them up and made some lavender linen hearts and adorned them with my little shabby flowers made from recycled textiles also and added a tiny hand dyed doily



I've made many pin cushions from tiny little ceramics.  This one is a tiny jug and I used an old cross stitched doily.  Isn't it pretty ?




Pin Cushions are very popular as they are a One of A Kind item. (OOAK)


And I love to dye old stained lace tablecloths, runners and doileys in sweet pastel and shabby colours.



Because my condition varies in degrees and I never know how good or bad I am going to be from one day to the next I decided that if I wanted to work again it had to be under my terms for it to work.  So I applied to undertake a programme which mentors new small businesses and in the process provides the students with a Certificate IV in Small Business Management.  My business idea has been accepted and my first on-line seminar starts today.  I have had to come up with a business plan and a business name and logo.  Here is a sneak peek of the logo.  

The Vintage Violet name has huge significance to me as both of my grandmothers provided me with so much guidance, inspiration and good old fashioned respect for frugal living and the joys of re-using and recycling and the name is dedicated to them both.  My paternal grandmothers middle name was Violet and my Maternal grandmothers middle name was Olive which is contained in Violet.  So it was pretty easy to settle on a name.  

I can't wait to start this journey and I look forward to an inspiring and fun 2016.

Hugs,

Fee xx





4 comments:

Annette said...

Loving all your up your up cycling!
Wishing you good luck with your new business venture & course!
and a very Merry Christmas to you and your family with best wishes for a wonderful New Year
πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„ Annette πŸŽ„πŸŽ„πŸŽ„

shez said...

Hi Fee wow those hearts are gorgeous you do such a lovely job of up cycling,love the dyeing too,you are very clever my friend xx

EL RINCON DE CHELO said...

Unos trabajos preciosos!!!

Baa. xxx said...

This sounds like an exciting adventure. One of my favourite blogs in NZ is My Threadbear Life. She up cycles heaps of things. You should check it out - I think you would like it.