Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Raspberry and Cherry Plum Cordial


Some weeks ago I was gifted this bottle of home made cordial.  It is just divine when mixed with some chilled water and ice blocks.  So refreshing, not overly sweet and NO yukky numbers on the label.




I have never made cordial before so decided to experiment and play with a recipe I found online for my thermomix.  I boiled up a bot of cherry plums in water and strained off the beautiful pink broth once the fruit and skin had fallen away from the stone.


I blended up 500g of raspberries to a liquid and then added 500ml of the cherry plum liquid, 500g of sugar and the juice of one lemon.  I cooked it at 100 degrees for 30 minutes on Speed 3 on my Thermomix.



Then I strained the liquid through a sieve to remove the majority of the raspberry seeds.


And then bottled my mixture.  Mine is a lot thicker than the one I was given so I think that the liquid (cherry plum or water) should have been more - Maybe double.  I have plenty more cherry plums so I will play around with the recipe some more.


Simply add a little cordial mix to a glass top with chilled water and some ice cubes and you have a lovely home made refreshing drink for a hot summer's day.  Now I am dreaming up lots of other combinations of fruits as they become available.


Today is the start of my friend Jenny's "Gentle Domesticity" FREE Block of the Month over on her BLOG.  I am going to stitch along.  Will you join me?

Hugs,

Fee xx

2 comments:

Jenny of Elefantz said...

Oh YUM! I love anything with plums...

Susan said...

Sounds yummy - I must google a mango one . . .