Sunday, January 3, 2016

The week that was ------ 2015/2016



This past week has been the cross over week from 2015 to 2016 and with it has brought a bit of change in our home.  This change hasn't been instant it has been made over the past weeks and months but has culminated in a fresh outlook and way of life for us in 2016 - The changes were gradual but certainly are cemented in place now.  Frugality is our way of life and has brought with it many new blessings.

Including this jar of awesome Lemon Butter from my niece who is blessed with an abundant lemon tree.  

One of the things on my wish list for this year is a lemon tree.  I have tried to grow them in the past with no luck but I am determined to save for a tree and to get a crop of lemons before the year is out !  
 This week I turned all of the left over stale bread into breadcrumbs.




Put them in a bag and popped them in the freezer.


I went to my local IGA and went to purchase this $2.99 bag of ripe bananas.  The young guy behind the counter gave them to me and another bag as well.  He said they were too ripe to sell.



I was very grateful - These are perfect for baking.  




They are all now residing in the freezer.  What a wonderful blessing.



I am hoping to begin my compost in the next few days so these banana skins will be a nice addition.




As for my $70 budget well I did pretty well although I blew it by $1.50.  We were taken out for lunch at a winery down in the Huon Valley and we stopped at a fruit shop on the way home and I lashed out with our remaining shopping dollars and purchased Cherries, Nectarines and Rhubarb.  I spent most of the shopping dollars on Coffee, Baking Supplies, Vegetables, Milk and Bread this week so it will be interesting to see where the dollars are spent next week.  I was hoping to have some left over for a slush fund for the bulk buying warehouse every few months but it was not to be this week.  I just need to find my feet and some balance so the first few weeks will be the hardest I think.



The rhubarb has been stewed and is now in the freezer ready for some apple and rhubarb crumbles.

The freezer has had a lot of additions in the past week with Satay Chicken, Bread Crumbs, Rhubarb, Stewed Apricots and Bananas having been added as well as some Porterhouse Steak gifted to us at Christmas.  The pantry has also been blessed with some homemade cordial which I will share with you next week.



So that's it for this week with a final little shot of Harry taking a selfie.

Hugs,

Fee xx

7 comments:

Julie said...

Harry is looking wonderful Fee ... happy & healthy & content. If you ever have too many banana skins for the compost then I chop mine up & put around my rose bushes ... they feed them potassium which they love. Also I wanted to mention about yesterdays post ... your vege garden can still be saved. I would try just composting & mulching it for the rest of the summer - put your lawn clippings on it too. Then I would try for some winter veges planted in the autumn. I am sure it will be fine - I have saved worse than that before. Happy New Year to you Fee x x x Your blog is a lovely place to visit :-)

Bilko Parker said...

I love reading your blog, when I feel down it always seems to pick me up. I also love your honesty and down to earth attitude. I have almost given up on my garden. We have lots of possums and they just get into everything and have almost destroyed all my fruit trees. Still life goes on. I'm sure you will be able to save your vege garden, Mother Nature can be very forgiving, good luck with everything. Guida

Sue B said...

oooh,, I love lemon butter, Mum used to make it when we were kids.

Helen said...

Looks as if you are right on track, and sounds if you have a freezer full of delicious food.

Anita : Shabby Quilt said...

I love reading your posts. I enjoy all your great ideas.
Enjoy.......love home cooking over brought, better taste.

Lisa R. Wommack said...

Altogether an incredible weekend day having a whole lot to discover in addition to complete. I'm sure When i likely solely had taken pics connected with 1 / 2 this material at this time there. Possibly attained some lovers on the icon at this time there to help and so howdy to help everyone When i mention to help. That is a good document appreciate it intended for giving that beneficial facts. I most certainly will stop by your blog routinely for most most current write-up.
Breadmachinecenter.net

SourKitchen said...

I like looking at your blog, while i experience along the idea often usually decide on us way up. My spouse and i in addition enjoy your current credibility along with into globe perspective. We've virtually abandoned our yard. We've got a great deal of possums and they also only end up in anything and still have virtually demolished most our berries bushes.
My Blog